When you are planning a family vacation to the Smoky Mountains, you have to find things the kids will love. What could be better than a series of water activities on summer vacation? They’ll keep you cool while providing a ton of fun. Here are five of the best options!
1. Wild Bear Falls Water Park is a great way to enjoy the water of the Smokies. The largest indoor waterpark in the south is located at Westgate’s Smoky Mountain Resort in Gatlinburg. Don’t worry, though — the roof is retractable! You’ll still be able to get a tan if you visit in the summer months. There are wading pools, slides, rides and a tree house at this amazing water park.
2. We can’t forget about a favorite Smoky Mountains pastime—fishing! Fish one of the park’s many streams and rivers to catch Brown, Brook and Rainbow trout. You’ll have to choose if you want to fly or angler fish, so get your gear together, purchase your license, and get ready for a great time.
3. Swimming in the fresh, mountain streams is another great way to commune with nature in the Smokies. Check with the park rangers to see which places are best. Always follow guidelines and signs. Never swim at the base of a waterfall.
4. Rent or bring your canoes and rafts to explore the park from a new angle. If your family is up for some white water rafting, check out the guides that offer their services. Rental is possible for many different kinds of watercrafts. For a calmer experience, go river tubing!
5. Get creative and rent a boat for your Smokies vacation! A speed boat, a pontoon, or even a paddle board can all be rented at nearby Douglas Lake. Thankfully, we have cabins nearby!
No matter which way you choose and how you travel, spending some time in the beautiful and clear waters of the Appalachian Mountains is not to be missed!
Be sure to check out all of our vacation guides for planning your Smoky Mountain getaway. You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram for the latest area information!